As we’ve said many times, we’ve been playing video game our whole lives. A large portion of that time spent was dedicated to playing games from our favourite sport – hockey! We’ve played almost every hockey iteration from the NES days onwards, we’ve spent countless quarters on the arcade versions, and Matt’s even worked on a few of them in the past at EA. Hockey is a tough sport to get right in video games, and these guys nailed it! In no particular order:
1) Ice Hockey (NES) – A classic that belongs in everyone’s NES collection. If you don’t have a NES buy it on Virtual Console.
2) NHL Hitz 2003 (Xbox) – The Hitz franchise was incredibly over the top and loaded with amazing extra content. It’s a shame they stopped making them.
3) NHL 09 (Xbox 360/PS3) – This game raised the bar for all hockey games at the time. Also this was one the first games that Matt worked on.
4) 2 0n 2 Midway Open Ice Challenge (Arcade) – After playing NBA Jam so many times, it was nice that Hockey fans got to get in on the arcade action.
5) Mutant League Hockey (Genesis) – This game is proof that you don’t need a license to make a great hockey game – just skeletons, monsters, and robots.